Quantitative Research Methods I
Exam number: PhD course
Semester: from 1st semester
Duration of the module: One semester
Form of the module (i.e. obligatory, elective etc.): Elective
Frequency of module offer: Irregularly
Prerequisites: For PhD candidates. Application with the instructor is required. Please refer to the website of the Chair of Marketing for further information.
Applicability of module for other study programmes:
Obligatory or elective in other study programmes. For further information check regulations of the study programme.
Person responsible for module: Prof. Dr. Martin Eisend
Name of the professor: Prof. Dr. Martin Eisend
Language of teaching: English
ECTS-Credits (based on the workload): 6
Workload and its composition (self-study, contact time):
Contact time (Lecture, tutorial etc.): 45 h; self-study: 135 h
Contact hours (per week in semester): 3
Methods and duration of examination:
Emphasis of the grade for the final grade: Please check regulations of the study programme
Aim of the module (expected learning outcomes and competencies to be acquired):
1. To familiarize students with the scientific foundations and practical applications of quantitative research designs and methods that are commonly applied in business research, in particular in management and marketing research
2. To enable students to develop their own research design.
3. To enable students to evaluate and interpret research designs and methods that are applied by peers (e.g., in journal publications)
4. To learn how to prepare and to write the method part of an academic paper that is to be submitted to a peer-review journal
Contents of the module:
- Foundations of Science and Methodology
- Measurement, Surveys, and Questionnaire Design
- Experimental Rsearch
- Others methods, Data Preparation, Research Ethics
- Methodology and Academic Writing
Teaching and learning methods:
Prep reading, participation and discussion, presentation, exam
Literature (compulsory reading, recommended literature):
An extended list of useful literature will be provided at the beginning of the semester.
Registration in Moodle Viadrina required.