Selected Topics in Creativity Research - PRELIMINARY -
Exam number: NEU ZU VERGEBEN
Semester: from 1st semester
Duration of the module: One semester
Form of the module (i.e. obligatory, elective etc.): Elective
Frequency of module offer: Winter semester 2017/2018
Prerequisites: To register for the seminar you have to send an E-Mail to Sophie Dunsch (email@example.com) until October 10, 2017.
Afterwards, you will be registered automatically by our chair in the Moodle system. You cannot enroll for this course via the Moodle system by yourself!
Capacity limit: 20 students
- Good knowledge in innovation management.
- Students should be able to run and interprete OLS regressions. Students should be able to run their own regressions, compute and interprete t-statistics and confidence intervals.
- Good knowledge of Excel or statistical software such as “R” or STATA is required.
- Knowledge in the Word processing software LaTex.
Applicability of module for other study programmes:
Obligatory or elective in other study programmes. For further information check regulations of the study programme.
Person responsible for module: Prof. Dr. Georg Stadtmann
Name of the professor: Prof. Dr. Georg Stadtmann
Language of teaching: English
ECTS-Credits (based on the workload): 6
Workload and its composition (self-study, contact time):
Contact time (lecture, tutorials, seminar etc.) 21 h; self-study: 159 h
Contact hours (per week in semester): 2
Methods and duration of examination:
- 40 % of the final grade: a presentation on a meeting in December 2017.
- 60 % of the final grade: an essay of around 10 pages text. The essay is due on February 28, 2018.
- Both tasks can be done in groups of two students.
- All students have to actively participate when their group has to present its solution. In case that a student does not take an active role in the presentation or is absent, the student can only earn 50 % of the credit of the group.
- Only relevant for regular enrolled students in the “very” old study program: To achieve credits as T-module (7 ECTS Credits), another essay (pass-fail) of 5 pages has to be written. Please let us know until October 31, 2017, if you would like to use this option.
Emphasis of the grade for the final grade: Please check regulations of the study programme
Aim of the module (expected learning outcomes and competencies to be acquired):
After successfully completing the course, students should be able to:
Demonstrate knowledge about the models of creativity:
- Have a good understanding of the models of creativity and their implications.
- Have a good understanding of the assumptions characterizing each model and be able to compare models on the basis of their assumptions.
Demonstrate skills that enable students to
- Apply their knowledge to the reading and analysis of journal articles in the literature covered.
- Analyze complex micro problems by applying several theoretical or empirical methods.
- Should have the skills to conclude about appropriate managerial response in the different settings.
Demonstrate competences that enable students to:
- Apply their knowledge to other contexts, like news from the media, figures released in the press or in the statistics.
- Describe and explain their solution of case studies in a written or oral way.
Contents of the module:
- Creativity and intelligence
- Creativity in Teams
- Creativity in Organizations
Teaching and learning methods:
Lecture, exercise classes, group discussions
Literature (compulsory reading, recommended literature):
- Amabile, Teresa M. How to kill creativity. Harvard Business Review, September-October 1998, 77 – 87.
- George, Jennifer M. (2007) 9 Creativity in Organizations, The Academy of Management Annals, 1:1, 439-477, DOI: 10.1080/078559814
- Further Literature tba.
The program LaTeX has to be used for all written papers as well as presentations.
All solutions have to follow the structure of a scientific paper:
- Front page, table of contents, list of figures, list of tables, list of abbreviations, variables, indices.
- All equations have to be numbered consecutively.
- References as usual and a list of references in the end of a paper.
Registration via E-Mail required.